Weather-Worn – In its unfinished state, steel rusts and weathers through oxidation. This won’t affect the structural integrity or durability of the piece. As a re-purposed object, weathering enhances the aesthetic of the artwork.
Bright Sanded – Grinding the surface removes marine paint or rust revealing a natural steel lustre, which is then hand rubbed with industrial wax to maintain this gorgeous finish.
Blackened Patina – Hand rubbed, patinated finish creates a rich burnished look, and a more refined appearance.
Marine-Grade Paint – Classic colors available. Industrial marine-grade paint is applied to the interior and exterior surfaces to maintain its appearance. An excellent choice for extreme weather conditions.
Steel Grades and Properties
Corten or “weathering steel” eliminates the need for painting and forms a stable rust-like appearance after several years exposure to weather, making it highly sustainable.
Cold-rolled steel has a superior surface finish but will rust over time in it’s natural state, especially in a coastal environment. If natural weathering is not preferred, cold-rolled steel can be marine-grade painted to maintain consistent color and protect it from rust and corrosion.
Stainless steel is corrosion resistant and will maintain its bright luster. Powder coated paint finish is available.
Wood or Gas
Both 'Fireballs' and Fireplace Screens are designed for wood burning, propane or natural gas. Studio Vlock does not provide propane or gas burner assemblies, however we can suggest guidelines and specifications.
Fireballs are available in three sizes: 58", 40", and 28" diameter – designed for wood burning, propane or natural gas.
Fireplace Screens are designed to order for a custom fit – at home in any environment; whether traditional or modern interior. Designed for gas, propane or wood burning fireplaces.
Studio Vlock will provide crating and coordinate transport to any location worldwide.
Certificate of Authenticity
As fine art, each piece is accompanied with a Certificate of Authenticity for collector documentation and insurance purposes.
About your Fireplace Screen
Function of the Fireplace Screen
- The entire screen is well secured top and bottom
- Gas or Propane fireplaces typically have a single panel design
- For wood-burning fireplaces:
- Doors are operable for clean out, loading and stacking wood
- To bring out the sheen or remove fingerprints or rust, use Mothers brand Pure Brazilian Carnuba Wax.
Material and Finish Notes
- The material used for the exterior frame and image panels is cold rolled steel to achieve a superior surface finish.
- The image panels may have a patinated or bright sanded finish.
- The interior frame for the mesh screen is stainless steel. We apply a high temperature auto paint on the mesh screen so it won't burn.
- A patinated finish is applied to the exterior frame and door frames using acid black oxide. This process involves grinding off mill scale, then using scotch bright on the surface and applying acid oxide The acid is rubbed on with scotch bright to achieve desired color and density then neutralized with water.
- An anti seize lubricant is used on the screws securing the frame to the lintel and mesh screen to the frame to assure easier disassembly if required.
- For wood burning fireplaces, the stainless steel frame inside is designed with a spacer to hide the bolts, making it easier to change out the mesh screen (if ever) and replace if needed.
Options for Wood Burning Fireplace Screens
- Mesh screen is stainless steel, finished with a high temperature auto paint so it won't burn. The stainless steel frame inside is designed with a spacer to hide the bolts, making it easier to change out the mesh screen (if ever) and replace if needed.
- For fireplace glass panels, we use a heat resistant glass ceramic such as NeoCeram, which is recommended for use as fireplace glass doors. It can handle temperatures well into 1,200° Fahrenheit, or 3x the heat resistance of tempered glass and is also more resistant to rapid heating and cooling. NeoCeram will not fog up in these instances of extreme heat and does not 'need to breathe', like regular tempered fireplace glass.